Monday, February 4, 2008

Life with a pacemaker is...

I know i tend to sometimes talk about my heart troubles and my pacemaker if you haven't noticed. And if you don't think so, just ask my girlfriend that hears about it all the time. Haha. But it was pretty recent and a really big shock to me and the people around me. Maybe in a couple months i'll stop talking about it. But life with a pacemaker can be eventful. Not to much of my daily life has changed. I do activities that i would normally do with ease and no hesitation, though there are some things i have to watch out for.
I used to work around car engines and trucks a lot for my previous job and one thing i can't do anymore is lean over a car engine. The spark plugs will cause my pacemaker to stop working. Another thing that i use on a daily basis is my cell phone, which can also cause it to stop working. So instead of using it on my left ear, no matter what i have to use it on my right ear. It can get quite tricky driving, shifting and trying to talk with my cell phone now! But don't worry, i don't do it often cause i know it is dangerous.
I recently just started to work out and try to gain some of the weight i lost from the surgery and i have to watch how hard i work my heart! I recently took a stress test to see how my heart handles at streneous levels. My heart passed with flying colors but my legs and my lungs were not doing so good after running hard on a treadmill for 15 minutes. I guess life has been back to normal for the most part.

1 comment:

Angie Belcourt said...

Another thing you cannot use is a gas powered chain-saw. My parents have a fireplace and my dad(who has a pacemaker)gets extrememly frustrated because he has to use an electric chainsaw to cut up his trees that he uses for firewood. I guess being limited to the constraints of an eletric cord would be tough to deal with when you are trying to cut wood!

Glad to hear that you are adjusting!