Friday, February 8, 2008

I'll never forget the time...

It was a dark and gloomy day when my family and I piled into the van and headed to the beach. It was going to be a day of foul smells, rain, and perhaps a few fond memories. Our first stop was at an old fisherman's house to pick up a bucket of fish heads to bait the crab nets with. The awful aroma filled the van, and after ten minutes of suffocation we were released into the muggy air of Oregon. The piers were dark and dangerous looking, but with some reassurance from my family I walked somberly to the end. My Uncle baited the net and I dropped it down into the murky water. I settled into my purple lawn chair, flipped down my pink sun glasses, and had a sip of my ice tea. I had started flipping the pages through Cosmo when my Uncle called that it was time to pull up the nets. I grabbed the line, and after getting some lingering looks from the old washed up fisherman, pulled up my net. Millions of tiny red crabs crawled and wiggled on the old dock. One crab in particular gave me a devilish look and with a tiny claw grasped onto my toe. Yelping with fright I ran backwards into my cousin and got caught up in his crab net. With one swift move I toppled over into the lurking water and was sucked under. The last thing I remember was looking towards the surface, and watching my pink sunglasses float off my head. Wriggling my feet, and gulping for air I was grabbed out of the water. Sea weed wrapped around my hair, and sand filled every pocket of my clothing. There were all sorts of commotion, cameras were flashing, people were running, and my mother was wrapping me in a towel.
The next morning I awoke to the sun burning my arm, and a news paper laying on my stomach. I leaned up, still tasting sea water, and glanced down at the news paper. On the front page read the headline, “Young Girl Falls Into the Pier and Nearly Drowns!” There in front of me was my picture, drenched in water and covered in sea weed. To this day I will never forget when I became the most talked about girl in the town of Charleston, Oregon.

No comments: