Sunday, February 3, 2008

I'll nver forget the time...(Graded)

I’ll never forget the time I saw mountains for the first time. My husbands work often takes him on the road and in the early winter of 2006, he had to work out in Yakima, WA. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to take a vacation and go see some sights that I had always longed to see. I have seen the mountains in pictures and movies, but I wanted to see them without the limits of a photo lens.

We left on an early Saturday afternoon and drove all the way to Miles City, MT where we stopped for the night. It was about an 8 hour drive from Fargo & there was not much to see. Even so, I was thrilled to be traveling through parts that I had never seen. There were areas with scattered buttes and rolling hills and the painted canyon in the badlands of western North Dakota was quite a sight to see. But soon we would be back on the road and just a few more hours down the road we would be approaching Billings, MT where the foothills of the Rocky Mountains can be seen.

The anticipation was killing me. As we were driving further into Montana, it seemed that we were always driving uphill, never down. I suppose that is because we were climbing in elevation. When we finally approached Billings, there was an explosion of excitement in me. We crested a hill on the East side of the city and there it was! My first glimpse of a beautiful majestic mountain! I saw it in the distance beyond the city. It was far away and didn’t look very big at first but it rose above the flat terrain with jagged snowy capped peaks. It seemed to take forever to get close to that mountain range and when we finally did, I was absolutely speechless. I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. The mountains were huge in comparison to anything I had ever seen. I couldn’t stop smiling. The mountains were everything and more than I had ever imagined.

My husband, having spent a lot of time out west, just smiled and shook his head and said “you haven’t seen anything yet!” He was right. As we got further into Montana the mountains got bigger and even more beautiful and they continued to impress me the entire trip. It was an unforgettable experience and I will go back out there every chance I get!

3 comments:

Shaner said...

Haha.. That was me over a year ago when i made the trip out to oregon! I think the whole trip took over 22 hours and the whole time, even when it was dark out, i had a huge smile on my face. When i was living in Oregon the cascades were right in my backyard and only a twenty minute drive away! I don't think i've ever been happier.

Angie Belcourt said...

I have yet to see the cascades. I am looking forward to it someday! You were lucky to have lived in such a beautiful place.

Carly_Degenhardt said...

Wow its so great to hear from someone else who loves Montana! I am from Kalispell, MT its Northwest of Billings! And yes the moutains are so majestic! I am glad you were able to enjoy them too!