Sunday, March 2, 2008

My many roles (graded)

In my personal life, I am a mother, an employee and a student. Being a mother has several roles in itself. I am a chauffeur, a cook, a nurse, a teacher and sometimes a banker (according to my children). In this role, I feel more like myself. My children do not care that I have spaghetti stains on my shirt from stirring the sauce and I am not required to act professional or holdback my emotions when I am angry or hurt. The most challenging part about being a mother is trying to be a good role model for my children. But of all the roles, this one is my favorite. Being a mother can be very hard, but can be very rewarding when I look at my children’s accomplishments and know that I am a part of what makes them who they are.

As an employee, my co-workers and managers expect me to show up for work on time and put 100% into my job. I am expected to act professional, dress professional and must always direct my frustrations in a pleasant way (easier said than done). I am expected to always have a smile on my face regardless if I am frustrated with a client or not. This is a challenging role for me as my job requires a lot of communication with a lot of customers and clients and sometimes those customers and clients can really frustrate me. Having to holdback the frustration can be extremely exhausting.

As a student, I am expected to complete my work to the best of my ability, be respectful to my fellow students and teachers, follow directions, study hard and show up for class on time. This is my most challenging role as it requires most of my extra time and energy. I have been out of school for more than 15 years and it is extremely challenging to get back into the study mode. It is hard to balance my time between family and school.

No comments: