Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Graveyard Shift

I love my job. I work as a phone translator for the deaf and hard of hearing. I also love working the night shift. At around 10pm the call volume cuts down to about 4-5 calls an hour, and you have a lot of time in between calls. It is very beneficial if you want to read a good book, do some homework, or have a good conversation with your co-workers. Another reason why I like the overnight shift, does not apply so much to this time of the year, but more in the summer. I love to be able to have the whole day with all the sunlight hours to e able to run all my errands, and go all the places that I want to go. If everything is open from 8am - 5pm , and everyone works those hours, how are they ever supposed to get to each others store? So I save myself the hassle of being at work when I need to run errands, by working at night, when all the shops are closed and all the people are asleep. After doing the overnight shift for a couple days, its hard evening out your sleep pattern for your days off. I am not able to go to bed at a reasonable time, here it is 3 in the morning and I am wide awake. I probably should not have made that coffee 2 hours ago.

No comments: