Thursday, February 14, 2008

Email 101

All of my emails have purpose, they keep my family updated on my daily life. Normally the only people that I email are my mother and grandmother. They love knowing about my daily activites and how I am doing. My mother especially loves to hear about interesting things that happen throughout my day, such as ice skating in freezing temperatures or even if I get an A on a test. I hardly ever consider the audience when I am writting an email, most of my emails are quick and brief.
In my opinion Instant Messaging hinders my academic writting, I tend to get into the habit of writting quickly, and being brief. However I know how to switch back to a more fomal audience when I am done Instant Messaging. Instant Messaging is very informal, but when writting my Grandmother emails I am very formal and I do not use slang. Many times during Instant Messaging your are just talking to your friends, so the way you write is very different when writting a formal message. When Instant Messaging a friend you might use abreviations like "LOL" or "TTUL", but when emailing a teacher you would not use abreviations. I think many people do not know how to switch back to the formal version of writting, so many student end up putting slang into their essays.
Over all I think that emailing is a great way to stay in touch with family and friends. Instant messaging keeps your friends up to speed on your life, but is much faster than emailing. Both are a great way to interact with our world, and keep socialized.

No comments: