Friday, February 15, 2008

Cigarette Lit...(Assignment)


At the end of the year of 2006 I decided to make a big decision in my life. So I figured since it was close to the new year I would make it a new year's resolution. I had been smoking for almost 5 years and thought it was getting out of hand and I should give it up. After trying many, many times before I really didn't think having this as my new years resolution was a good thing but it definitely put me to the test. I knew if I could stick to it, it would change my life forever in more than one way.
From the 1st of the year on I went from smoking almost a pack or 2 a day to quitting cold turkey. The first few days were alright with several urges to light one up. But as the number of days kept growing it kept getting harder. I would wake up several times a night in a cold sweat, shaking and obviously going through withdrawals. The usual cigaratte after a meal was a definite challenge when you are trying to quit cold turkey. After the 23 day mark I had finally broke free from smoking and rarely had a craving for a smoke. I felt very very good about myself and made my opinion on smoking definitely changed, although i am not a hypocrite.
My life had changed in several ways since i kept that new years resolution. I no longer have stinky clothes, cars, or home. I can actually walk into a nice place without smelling like an ash tray. One thing i noticed that went away after I stopped smoking was my constant battle with bronchitis. It seemed when I smoked I ended up with bronchitis every month but since quitting, have only got it 1 time!
Not only was I healthier at the time, the best thing is the decreases in chance's of getting really sick! Cancer is one thing I hope i never have to deal with and if I would of continued smoking my chances would of increased signifficantly. I can only hope what I did smoke hasn't caught up to me already or gave me some sort of hang-on illness. In the words of Mark Twain, "It's easier to stay out then get out."

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I see you added a relevent picture to your post--nice touch!

Angie Belcourt said...

Very cool with the added picture. I didn't know we could do that! I will have to figure it out.

I am a smoker(15 years)and I have tried to quit before with no success. I know how hard it can be and I applaud you for quiting cold turkey. That is something I don't think I could do. When I tried to quit before I was using the patch and it definitely helped with the cravings however I think you have to really want to quit in order to be successful. I know I have all the reasons in the world to quit and you would think that those reasons would be enough to convince me to stop. It is not so. I have to admit, I enjoy smoking and am just not ready. I only hope that I will have the willpower and the want to quit before it takes its toll on me. I know it probably doesn't make sense, but I can't help it.
Congratulations to you on quiting!

Anonymous said...

I woke up one morning, Oct 2nd, 2000, and said "I am going to see how long I can go without a cigarette." It is 7 1/2 years later and no puff!!! Keep it up, some people quit and 6 years later will start again...what is the point in quitting such a nasty habit and then start again? Good Job!