Monday, February 25, 2008

Gloria Jeans or Starbucks?

I used to work as a barista, and I acquired what some people would call, an addiction to espresso. My favorite drink of all time, is an iced breve. It is espresso, half and half, and ice. I have been to every coffee shop in the Fargo-Moorhead area, looking for the best breve. I found that the best place to go is Gloria Jeans coffee. Their espresso is so smooth, and not burnt at all. The only problem is that there is only one shop up north by the Fargodome. This can be very frustrating, if you are low on gas, or short on time, especially when you pass by four Starbucks on your way. I try Starbucks every now and again, but it never works out. The price of an iced breve at Starbucks is $4.20, and at Gloria Jeans is $4.24 so its not like you are getting a better deal going to Starbucks. But the biggest difference, is that at Starbucks, they have an automatic shot puller, this ensures that the drink is going to taste the same, every time you go to a Starbucks. That is bad news, because every time I get a breve from Starbucks, the espresso is shocked, and tastes burnt, and nasty. At Gloria Jeans they pull their own shots, to maximize krema, and the great taste that comes with it. So I have found that it is worth it for me, to take the extra 15 minutes, and drive to Gloria Jeans instead of stopping at the nearest Starbucks.

1 comment:

Angie Belcourt said...

Hmmm... I too am a lover of pricey coffee drinks. I will have to try Gloria Jeans sometime. I used to work right next door to a Caribou Coffee and I would go in there every morning before work to get a mocha. I must say, I prefer Caribou mochas over any others I have tried, especially Starbucks. You are right, their coffee does taste burnt sometimes. Yuk!